Scott Pfitzinger was born in in 1968 in Buffalo, New York, and grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, where he began playing saxophone in fourth grade, winning “best in class” awards in 7th and 8th grades. In high school, Scott won “best in class” academic awards in three different subject areas (foreign languages, math, and science) and graduated in the top 5% of his large class.
In college, Scott played alto and baritone saxophones in the Cornerstone University concert, pep, and jazz bands and sang in the university chorale for four years. He majored in Music Theory/Composition, studying Composition under Dr. Richard Stewart, and graduated cum laude in 1990.
Scott earned a Master of Library Science degree from Indiana University in 1994 and in the early 2000s he completed coursework and comprehensive exams (everything but dissertation) toward a PhD in Education, focusing on Instructional Design for Online Learning.
In 2008, Scott began a Master’s in Music Composition at Butler University, where he studied with Dr. Michael Schelle and Dr. Frank Felice. He graduated summa cum laude in 2010.
Scott began playing handbells in 1991, performing and directing in various church choirs over the years. In 1999, he began ringing with Embellish handbell ensemble of Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he was composer in residence for four years. In 2005, Scott moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he rang with Joyful Sound for one year and the Circle City Ringers from 2005 to 2012, where he was also composer in residence.
Scott has performed with the following musical ensembles:
- Circle City Ringers
- Joyful Sound
- All-Star Ensembles at Pinnacle 2004 & Pinnacle 2010
- Butler University Percussion Ensemble and Steel Drum Ensemble
- Butler University Chorale
- Jordan College of Fine Arts (JCFA) Composers Orchestra
- Bloomington Chamber Choir
- Bloomington Community Band
- Evangelical Choral Society
- Cornerstone University Chorale
- Cornerstone University Symphonic Band
- Cornerstone University Jazz Band
Roles that Scott has played in various dramatic or musical theatre productions:
- A Mad Breakfast, by I.M. Gray – Director / Mr. Jones (2003)
- RUMBO, by Cynthia Mercati – Director (2002)
- The Money in Uncle George’s Suitcase, by Pat Cook – Director (2001)
- The Phony Physician, by Thomas Hischak – Director (2000)
- H.M.S. Pinafore, by Gilbert & Sullivan – Boatswain’s Mate (1999)
- The Real Inspector Hound, by Tom Stoppard – Magnus (1999)
- A Deadly Briefcase, by David Landau – Bobby Towne (1998)
- Murder in the Cathedral, by T.S. Eliot – Knight #3 (1998)
- You Never Can Tell, by George Bernard Shaw – Finch McComas (1997)
- A Comedy of Errors, by William Shakespeare – Dromio of Ephesus (1993)
- Henry IV, Part I, by William Shakespeare – Archibald Earl of Douglas (1992)
- Patience, by Gilbert & Sullivan – Archibald Grosvenor (1991)
- Fiddler on the Roof, by Bock & Harnick – Lazar Wolf (1990)
- The Sound of Music, by Rodgers & Hammerstein – Uncle Max Detwiler (1989)
- Where’s Charley?, by Frank Loesser – Mr. Spettigue (1987)
- H.M.S. Pinafore, by Gilbert & Sullivan – Carpenter’s Mate (1986)